Where can I make a copy?

Please use photocopy machines on the 1st floor or 2nd basement floor.
You can pay by co-op copy cards or cash.
Photocopy machines inside the library should be used to photocopy library materials only.
Please fill out the "Document Copy Application Form" near the photocopy machine and put it in the box. Please be sure to photocopy the materials within the limit of Japanese copyright law.
Please see the "Photocopying" page for more details.


Connecting to the Network in the library

You can connect your device to the network.
Members of the University of Tokyo can use the network.
Please see the "Connecting to the Network" page for details.



Is there a place where I can eat and drink in the library?

The eating and drinking corner in the Sky Lounge on the 1st floor is the only place where you can eat and drink in the library.
At the carrels, beverages in spill-proof containers are only allowed.


What should I do if I do not know how to use the computer and the printer in the Media Park?

ECCS terminals and printers in the media park can only be used by members of the University of Tokyo. You can ask the system support staff near the entrance if you have any questions about them.
For details, please see the "Media Park (ECCS terminals and printers)" page.


What is the title of the music that plays when the library is closed?

The title is "Shannon's Lullaby."
It seems that it is recorded in the BGM library "MQL02 PRO EDITION" of MUSI-Q.


Use of the Library

What should I do if I forgot my ID/library card to enter the library?

By asking the library staff, you can enter the library without your ID card, but cannot borrow books. Lending or borrowing ID cards is prohibited.


Where is the dictionary in the library?

Reference books such as dictionaries and encyclopedias can be found in the reference books section on the 2nd floor and the B1 floor. Reference books cannot be borrowed or taken out of the library so that many people can use them.


How can I use the materials held by the department libraries in Komaba I Campus?

How can I transfer and borrow the materials from other libraries in the University of Tokyo?

How can I transfer copy of materials from other libraries in the University of Tokyo?

How can I use other university libraries?

What should I do if I lost something in the library?

Please ask at the counter or contact to User Service Section.


What do I do when I want to donate books?

Please contact the Komaba Library Monograph Section, Weekdays 9:00 – 17:00.
Academic books are accepted.
We would like to ask for your understanding that there are cases when we are not able to accept your donation in cases, for example, when the library already has that book, or that book is novel or essay.

What should I do if I want to use materials of the Komaba Library for publication, broadcasting, exhibition, etc.?

Please see this page for details.



How do I find resources at the library?

First, using the OPAC is recommended. You can search by book title. You can also search by keywords if you do not know the title.


What should I do next if a book or journal I need doesn’t appear in the OPAC?

It seems to be unavailable at UTokyo Libraries.
However, sometimes E-resources may be found by searching the E-journal & E-book Portal because there is a time lag until the data is reflected in the OPAC.
The "CiNii Books" tab on the OPAC enables you to search for books and journals held by other universities in Japan. Please see the "Interlibrary loan service" page for details.
If you are not in a hurry, you can request a book purchase. Please log in to MyOPAC and apply from the "Book Request" page. Please note that your suggestions may occasionally be unaccepted for some reason.


Do you have extensive reading books in English?

Some are available as e-books (for members of the University of Tokyo only).
You can read the Macmillan Readers series on EBSCO eBook Collection and the Page Turners series on Maruzen eBook Library. You can also search for e-books by grade range on Infobase eBooks. Infobase eBooks can be accessed from E-journal & E-book Portal. Click "Infobase eBooks" on the "Additional Resources" list.
Although not for extensive reading, the Oxford Very Short Introductions series are introductory books on various subjects. Both e-books and printed books are available.


What should I do if I cannot find articles in the OPAC?

Please check if you are searching by article title. The UTokyo OPAC doesn’t allow you to search by article title. Let’s search by the book/journal title in which the article is published.


How do I find articles?

Our web seminars introduce practical ways to find articles. Please see Part 4, Finding journal articles in Japanese and Part 5, Finding journal articles in English.


What kind of databases can I use?

You can browse databases available on the Database List. It allows you to narrow them down by subject or source type as well. The "Popular Databases" page and "Methods for using Databases" page on the Literacy website are also informative.


How do I access databases and e-resources from home?

Please see the "How to use e-resources from off-campus" page on the Literacy website. One of our web seminars, Part 3, Using databases & E-Journals from off-campus, also features this topic.


I searched for a journal article through a database, but I cannot find a full-text button on the search result. What should I do?

If you can find the "UTokyo Article Link" or "Full text @ UTokyo" link on the search result, just click it. A new window will open, and you can check if the article is available online or UTokyo Libraries have printed versions.


How do I cite a source?

"How to prepare bibliography and citation lists" on the Literacy website is useful to learn about citations. If you would like to learn more, we recommend you read some books on academic writing. Academic Skills Book List is available on our website.