Skip to main content
About the General Library of the University of Tokyo
- The General Library of the University of Tokyo is one of the libraries comprising the University of Tokyo Library System. We build and hold collections pertaining to a broad range of subjects for students and researchers in various faculties and departments.
- Members of the general public with no affiliation to the University of Tokyo may browse the required procedure.
- Alumni can get an Alumni Library Pass.
- The description of this page is about the General Library. Please note that the other libraries belonging to the University of Tokyo Library System have their own rules and you must follow those rules when using those libraries.
Before coming here
- Please confirm that intended material is held at the General Library before you come. We do not grant admission to those who do not intend to use particular materials.
There are various ways to check our holdings.
- The University of Tokyo Library OPAC
- Check if "Gen.***" appears in the "Location" column.
- You need the "Call No." to find the material in the library.
- Asking the reference desk via the methods below. Old books may not be listed in OPAC.
- ASK Service
ASK Service is an online reference service. You can send a question via the web and receive an answer by e-mail.
- Students and faculty of Japanese national universities and colleges
- Admission granted during library open hours.
- Present your university identification.
- Students and faculty of prefectural, municipal, and private universities and colleges
- Admission granted from 9:00 to 17:00 on weekdays (except national holidays and other days when the library is closed)
- Present university identification.
- Admission for an extended period of up to 2 weeks can be granted if you have a referral from your own university library.
- Admission granted from 9:00 to 17:00 on weekdays (except national holidays and other days when library is closed)
- Present a form of official identification that includes your name and address.
- Open shelves for books and periodicals.
- For materials in the stacks (books and periodical back numbers), please ask the library staff at the General Information Desk2. Click here for details on stack materials.
Note: Rare books, books in the Collection Room, and the oversize Western books with call numbers beginning with "B" are available from 9:00 to 17:00 on weekdays. You will need an advance reservation to browse rare books. Click here for details.
- Available in accordance with copyright law.
Note: Photocopying of some materials in the stacks is restricted due to their physical condition (deterioration). Please check with staff.
- Photocopy machines are located on 1st floor (Two photocopiers for use with prepaid library photocopying cards / coin, and one photocopier for use with coin).
- Procedures for photocopying
- Purchase prepaid photocopying card
- Fill out required form in copier room
- Photocopying hours: During opening hours
- Cost per sheet copied: 10yen / color 50yen
- A reference service is available for information on the University of Tokyo and related materials.
- Services not available to walk-in users
- Checking-out materials
- Access to stacks
- User computer facilities
- Online journals and database