About rare books in the General Library
Materials with call numbers that begin with "A00" and "A05" (Japanese books) and "A100" and "A150" (foreign books), and records of 50-year history of Imperial University of Tokyo are treated as rare books.
Access to these books is only permitted under the following condition and by following the required process.
- You may browse the rare books only when there is special necessity. If there are microforms or digitized data, these are what you should use unless there is a specific reason to use the original.
- You need an advance reservation to browse rare books. Requests to access rare books will not be accepted without advance reservation.
Please click "Apply" below.
- Send the form by 17:00 three business days before the desired date of your appointment.
Note: A form submitted on a Saturday, Sunday, or national holiday will be treated as received on the next business day.
- If you do not know the call number or the bibliographic information of the material you wish to examine, contact the Reference Service Section.
- Volume limit: 5 volumes at one time; 10 volumes in one day.
- If you would like to apply by mail or fax, please visit this page.
- Present the duplicate of your submitted application form along with the reply from the Reference Service Section at Service Counter.
- Hours: from 9:00 to 17:00 on weekdays (closed from 12:00 to 13:00)
- Only notebooks and valuables (wallet) may be brought to the reading room. Pencils and a measuring tape are equipped.